Friday, February 22, 2008

My Introduction

I felt the need to make some kind of impact, to do something productive. I don't like digital media in general, but I think I can get some kind of point across here. I want to talk about music. I am quite knowledgeable, I believe. I typically don't like new music. I am not prejudiced, but most of it doesn't do anything for me, so why not have a young person talk about older music, right? It may be the strongest testament. Actually, "The Testament" was a title I was considering. I am rushing through this whole process at that moment, so it's all kind of sloppy, but I think it may mean a lot that such a title came to mind so quickly.

Basically, I will start off with a mere introduction. I am twenty years old, I am from New Jersey and go to school in Boston, I have been quite knowledgeable for most of my life. I don't really know why, but music has always mattered and I felt that knowing about it was as important as listening to it. Details will probably come up in later entries, so why elaborate now? So as a foundation I will say this: My favorite artists are Guided by Voices, The Beatles (obv), The Olivia Tremor Control, and John Cale. Take that forever its worth, but I think it sums it all pretty well in some senses. I'll go a little further actually, to expand beyond that top four I have to mention the Wipers, Todd Rundgren, Brian Eno, Sparks, the Kinks, and Kino, who, if you are not aware is the be-all and end-all of Soviet rock, akin to all the greats of post-punk and new wave. Lately I've also been into early R.E.M., Nick Lowe, The Tubes, The Mekons, and Bülent Ortaçgil who is a Turkish singer-songwriter comparable to the likes of Donovan, Bob Dylan, and above all, Cat Stevens.

As I said before I am not impressed by much new music, some exceptions include Justice and Jay Reatard. I think that Jens Lekman and Patrick Wolf had a lot of potential, but their recent work has been a bit disappointing. Some recent artists I used to like and now hold some reservations about include Animal Collective and Sufjan Stevens - I am not sure whether they have gone bad or if they were never good to begin with. Either way, that's where I stand with some "key" contemporary artists.

It may seem pointless to go on and on about old music, but it is actually as rich a topic as the contemporary and withing my age group can contain just as much new information. I think about this stuff all the time, and rarely tread water. This may be enlightening. I hope it is.

3 comments:

Asian Dan said...

Welcome to the music blogosphere.

K. O'Neil said...

i hope it's enlightening as well. looking forward to future posts.

McEneaney Gonzales said...

Thanks for the encouragement!