Sunday, September 20, 2009

Am I Awake? Am I Asleep?

Thanks to a wonderful reader's comment on my article on Trees I was shown to a recent interview with the great Dane Conover which is available right here.

While I wish I could have heard more from Mr. Conover himself and not just music from Sleep Convention and his influences. However what he says is pretty great as are some of the rarer music in the program. In particlar, it was my first exposure to his first band The Puppies whose "Mechanical Beat" is featured, as well as his recent work with his wife under the name Popgems. The latter project's song "California" is just incredible and I really wish I had that to listen to on my cross-country drive here from new Jersey/Michigan. Once again it is part of Conover's uniquely SoCal contribution to the synth-pop world. The most significant, however is the original version of the Sleep Convention standout "11:00 AM" which could be described as nothing short of epic. Not only is it one of the best examples of Conover's genius, but also of Earle Mankey's - to whom Conover gives endless credit in the interview. If that masterpiece connected with you this is just as essential listening.

1 comment:

Doug Lynner said...

Thanks for pointing your readers to my interview with Dane Conover. My show Doug Lynner's World of Noise airs the second Thursday of the month on http://www.flashbackalternatives.com at 6 & 9pm PST. The past shows stream for free at http://www.neatnetnoise.com. Thanks for listening!!