Saturday, July 20, 2013

New Jersey

So, I have said a lot about New Jersey in this time and for good reason.  Some of the best music of all time has come out of there.  Music from the future, and the really strange thing is that as much as people talk about Maxwell's, Hoboken, Bruce Springsteen, the Misfits, etc., it was oddly enough the small town of Haledon which has the most significance.  Everyone knows the Feelies and many know that's where they come from, they just played Hoboken a lot.

Additionally, many other great bands came out of that Feelies spectrum.  Bands as great and influential on the right artists.  All you need to do is listen to Ridgewood's Real Estate to know that.  So as I have been absorbing such groups lately, both on record and in person I needed to assemble a little playlist for the uninitiated.  I only have what I have so its far from complete and I tried to make it short enough to fit on one CD.  So Here are some flaws:  Nothing from Wake Ooloo, who I have not even heard yet, and this song by Speed the Plough, which may be the greatest song of all time.  I also left out Crazy Rhythms because if you're reading this we can assume you are already familiar with this.

So, these bands...

It starts with the Feelies led by Glenn Mercer and Bill Million.  After the end of their time with Stiff records they were left unoccupied but with a wonderful home studio where they encountered the Trypes (and Yo La Tengo).  The Trypes were John Baumgartner, Toni Peruta, Marc Francia, and Elbrus Kelemet.  Mercer then joined on production.  Eventually so did Dave Weckermen, Brenda Sauter, and Stanley Demeski.  When the Feelies reunited they took those three with them and the remaining members formed Speed the Plough.  Sauter (and I believe Demeski) came back though.  Sauter also joined Wild Carnation with husband Richard Barnes and drummer Chris O' Donovan - both of whom would be members of Speed the Plough.

Then there is Yung Wu, which was essentially the Feelies plus John Baumgartner, but with Weckerman on vocals/songwriting.  These songs cover about 25 years and all but one is original.  If you ask me this is how music is supposed to sound.  Here is the order I planned if anyone wants it that way...

1.  The Trypes - (From the) Morning Glories
2.  Speed the Plough - River Street
3.  Wild Carnation - The Road to Bielefeld
4.  The Feelies - Waiting
5.  Wild Carnation - The State You're In
6.  Speed the Plough - Love Song
7.  The Feelies - Too Far Gone
8.  Yung Wu - Big Day
9.  Speed the Plough - Cardinal Rules
10.  The Trypes - Belmont Girl Is Mad At Me
11.  The Feelies - On the Roof
12.  Wild Carnation - The Rising Tide
13.  Speed the Plough - The Roof Is Off (The Stars Are There And It's Mighty Cold)
14.  Yung Wu - Aspiration
15.  The Feelies - The Undertow
16.  Wild Carnation - Acid Rain and 'The Big One'
17.  Speed the Plough - Big Bus
18.  The Feelies - Invitation
The Trypes - A Plan, Revised (Demo)


This should increase interest in my dream project which I forgot to mention to John and Toni (nee Peruta) Baumgartner to write the long-overdue story of this music scene tentatively titled We All Live on the Western Side:  The Overlooked Story of New Jersey Indie rock with The Feelies Speed the Plough and Yo La Tengo.  Dreams...


2 comments:

Dave Vanders said...

Great stuff. Seven Stairs was always my favorite of all the groups mentioned. I think the Mason's Box album is a true gem. For me the Wake Ooloo albums aren't quite in the same league as the other bands listed.
DAve

Dave Vanders said...

Great stuff. Seven Stairs was always my favorite of all the groups mentioned. I think the Mason's Box album is a true gem. For me the Wake Ooloo albums aren't quite in the same league as the other bands listed.
DAve