Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I Knew Somebody, But Now I'm All Alone


Well this is obviously some true Rock 'n' Roll.

Hanoi Rocks hailed from Finland, and despite that disadvantage (which with the likes of HIM tailing is only getting worse and worse) they are legends. Despite their decadently glam image in the 80s and the facts that Guns 'n' Roses cite them as a top influence and Vince Neil was convicted for vehicular manslaughter of their drummer Razzle , Hanoi Rocks is in fact NOT metal. Bands of that style did take a lot of them, though in their attitude and look, but Hanoi Rocks' music harkens back more to the first era of glam and of course, punk rock. Keep in mind that 80s metal borrowed a huge part from punk as well, they just took it differently from these Finns. Metal, punk, whatever - this is music for lovers of Rock 'n' Roll and know that it knows no boundaries, reaching those as far as the Arctic Circle.

Hanoi Rocks knew no limits either as their singer also excelled as a harmonicist and (red and white) sax player which plays a big part in their music. The British national Razzle, as well changed rock as he played with a bass drum bearing his name rather than the band's. Bottom line this is an awesome album that I've been wanting to get into for years and I just now acquired it in its entirety. "Lost In The City," which I heard first is a great rock tune that lives up to its name. Other favorites are "Tragedy" and "11th Street Kidzz." The album extracts everything fun about punk and glam which of course Southern California metalheads admired as much as I do. Therefore, I recommend this (more than usual) to fans of Guns 'n' Roses, The Clash, Mötley Crüe, David Bowie, etc...


Hanoi Rocks - Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks (1981)

4 comments:

Hank said...

You have some great taste! New Math, Toy Love and now Hanoi Rocks. Are you sure you're not me?

Anyway, I saw Hanoi Rocks play many times, both in Stockholm where I live, and in London. They always put on a great show. Pure rock'n'roll. Andy McCoy took it all too far (but boy could he play guitar) and got hooked on heroin, a documentary about him was made a few years ago, pretty scary but gripping. Theyre playing again now, so I suppose he managed to control it.

About New Math - great and original band - I have a compilation of pretty much their entire opus on a hard drive somewhere. I can put it up for you if you like (once I find it).

McEneaney Gonzales said...

That would be awesome! I have been looking for that non-stop ever since I saw that video a few weeks ago. Thanks a lot.

Hank said...

Here it is, New Math's Wake The Dead album. Terrible cover, but great music!

http://rapidshare.com/files/
230517641/New_Math.zip

I found it a couple of years ago on a blog dedicated to horror comics and the like. Forget the name of the blog, it was entertaining though.
Enjoy!

McEneaney Gonzales said...

Thanks a lot!