Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Truly Royal Scam...



I was told by a friend tonight that the legend R. Stevie Moore had recently passed away, and while his myspace has been re-named "R. STEVIE MOORE R.I.P.," I believe this has to do with his plan to not play live again and death rumors seem false. I know he may not matter as much to everyone has he does to me and my friends, but I think there would be some easily accessible obituary on the man, who if in fact alive is only 57.

Regardless of whether or not it would be in memoriam, I needed to put up some more of his work.

Here is his second "proper" LP, which some people, including the friend who gave it to me, even prefer to Phonography, but to be honest I have yet to absorb it enough to say. Regardless it is a solid set that continues to prove his immense talent. His signiture sound and songwriting skill is on display as much as ever and there is indeed some growth, and some very bold moves including the title "Don't Blame The Niggers." His humor comes out even more on the songs, although the wonderful skits are absent here. This album also marks his move to New Jersey and the WFMU clip that he samples shows the warm welcome we gave him up here despite his perpexling move. The album begins with a bang in "Cool Daddio," which like "Funny Child" may hint at domestic issues that caused the artist's move out of Nashville. Like it or not (as easy on both sides) his love songs are not quite as sincere, but what is lost is replaced with an acerbic whit in the sub-legal "Schoolgirl" and pre-SNL ambiguity of "Oh Pat." It is all delightful, and hopefully so is R. Stevie's future.


R. Stevie Moore - Delicate Tension (1978)

No comments: