Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Sound Track Of My Dreams



I first heard this group about three years ago when this album's "Sound Track" was included on a MOJO compilation called The Roots of Punk which also included CAN, the Stooges, The Groundhogs, and Mott the Hoople. When this track came on, though, my first thought was "Is this arena rock?" My second was "I don't care if it is - it rules!" The third: "This is the most Vincent Gallo thing I've ever heard."

Later my friends and I found this video:

which is constantly taken off and then put back on youtube.

Not much later I managed to find this album at the local Borders... and SHIT was it amazing!!

Bill Nelson is a guitar virtuoso. Unlike everyone else who fits that description, though, he writes good songs. This is an amazing pop album with wonderful instrumentation that for prog-rock is somehow very un-pretentious. This is over-the-top 70s rock at its finest - big, fun, and showy. The two aforementioned songs are both fantastic - "Sound Track" for its epic qualities and "Maid in Heaven" for its catchy pop accessibility. Both emit all the energy you could want from the style. The big production deserves as much credit as the songwriting, instrumentation, and energetic band, and why not as it was produced by Roy Thomas Baker (of "Bohemian Rhapsody" fame)? Naturally, there are a lot of similarities in the big sound, so this should not be missed by any fan of that style.

Also, be sure to COMPLETELY disregard the AMG review.

Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama (1975)


It may never be known if Matt Greoning is a fan.

No comments: