Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stop For A While



As I wrote over a year ago, the Feelies are the greatest gift New Jersey has given to music. Since that article I even got the privilege of seeing them with Yo La Tengo in Montclair, so I thought I should give credit to a large part of what made that show one of the best I have ever seen.

Coming out a whole eight years after the group's fantastic debut Crazy Rhythms this album shows the band catching up with their many followers like R.E.M. (whose Peter Buck lended a hand in production), Rain Parade, and many more. The opening two tracks, "On the Roof" and "The High Road" were the same that opened their set, and while I was hoping for "The Boy With The Perpetual Nervousness" to commence a more contemplative set, this choice was perfection. The band set the stage for a truly "groovy" show. These songs, like this whole album gives the effect of the Grateful Dead to the indie rock/jangle popper. It is a bit of a change of pace, being more straightforward than the debut, but is no less interesting and the beat that kicks it off keeps in their brilliant percussive tradition. This is a great album to chill-out to, the perfect persciption for someone looking for hippie vibes without all those damned hippies!

Glenn Mercer and Bill Million's chemistry is as alway spot-on and their songwriting is as tight as their guitar dynamics that still resonate with the same passion as their nerd-clad holiday shows at Maxwell's. Luckily the new cast of supporting players is as strong (I would argue even stronger) than their Crazy Rhythms cohorts. Some people may overlook the Feelies' 80s and 90s works, but if you as me, all their records are essential and I can assure you their skills have not waned. When I saw them they debut some all new songs that stood up to the rest of the career-spanning set. Expect even more greatness for this band in the future.


The Feelies - The Good Earth (1986)

No comments: