Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Roots, Part 6: (Winding) Ways

Alex Adler, George McTernan, C-Mac
There was another barren period, this time also lasting about three years, but it was perhaps even more barren and a lot of it had to do with not even having an instrument with me when I moved to LA in June of 2009.  That changed slightly over a year later when my family visited.  I needed the thing back no matter what, but it was heightened by the possibility of the Funbeatles losing a member.  Luckily for everyone other than me that never happened.  The bass was useful when I moved to Alameda at the end of 2010, though, but I would not be in a proper band until the following Spring when I returned to LA.

That band was Ways, also known as Winding Ways and sometimes The Ways.  It was led by my college friend Alex Adler who had amassed a large quantity of songs, ideas, and titles, all of which impressed me, such as "Inner Moon," "Alive In Well," "(Oh) Family," "Ocean Vision" and many more.  Just looking forward to playing again, we began and all too quickly found drummer and recent transplant from New England George McTernan.

We began weekly sessions at Echo Park's ultra-hip rehearsal space Bedrock (where less than a year later Super River would be) and got to work on this wide body of songs.   Some of the first were "Zero The Astronaut," "On Pleasure Pier," "Discipline" and "Vice/Versa."  The band's influences were mostly of the 80s and 90s rock type like grunge, shoegaze, and American Underground, though with some space-rock in there too.  Some more specific inspirations were the Wipers, Meat Puppets, and Bobb Trimble, with Adler's dominant guitar style evoking a lot of John Frusciante, Curt Kirkwood, and Trimble.  Those four early songs were recorded in early May by Paul Igaz in his legendary basement with him on drums.  I unfortunately do not have these demos at the moment which is tragic as they may be the best recordings and Igaz' drum style is quite different from McTernan's which offers a very different interpretation of these songs.

Brady Nelson played with us a few times on synth, but we were unsure how needed that was and schedules were not ideal.  Through that Summer we kept playing and our setlist grew and grew into an exciting little show.  That show was finally put on display at the embarrassing Highland Park venue Mr. T's Bowl with current Los Angeles buzz band Spaceships and a "punk" band called Dog Teeth or something, who I guess has a cassette or something.  I found them unpleasant, but Spaceships was great.  We got that show through their bassist Schuyler Stone, also of Benefit Friends (who departed that November for New York) who also, through them got Super River a nice show at Silver Lake Lounge a year later.  It went well for the most part, other than my amp being a bit too loud and my mic being way too loud as the sound guy was not expecting my screams on "Pheonix" which on a good night like that were pretty ear-piercing.

We recorded nearly every rehearsal to varying success.  The vocals were often far too low.  We used some kind of good machine I've seen before, but an iPhone probably would have worked better as it did for Super River.  There were also some really great videos made with the help of Adler's room mate Hee-Jae Park, but those have been taken down.  These are probably the rawest recordings I will share.  Not our best performances nor best sound quality and I think I may even be out of tune on "Vice/Versa," but this is the best I have of the band in its original form.

"Misery City" is probably the most pop-oriented song, with a dark beachy vibe.  Keeping with the nautical theme, common in Adler's work is the ballad "On Pleasure Pier," which was always a lot of fun to play, even at its slower tempo.  "Phoenix" was maybe our heaviest songs and definitely the heaviest here.  It has a rare complexity and was more complicated than most, which made it a lot of fun to play, in addition to the screams.  "Vice/Versa" is another emotional rocker, one where it's hard to find a point of reference, though.

The first song we did together "Zero The Astronaut," is obviously pretty spacy and at its best was a hypnotic piece that we would jam on for a while live despite its radical shifts.  Also a lot of fun on bass.  "Discipine" was a loud fast punk track, sort of like a stiffer Wipers.  "Greener Paper" was also fun and one of our shortest songs that always reminded me of Nirvana for some reason, though I really can't hear it.

The band folded in late 2011 as Adler and McTernan's inability to agree on drum parts worsened and the early days of Super River made me unable to focus on any other projects - I even wrote a song partially inspired by this, also included here.  It is one of the few Super River tracks with me on lead vocals.

I think all these songs have a lot of potential and just needed some fine-tuned dynamics to be classics.  Luckily, Adler has stuck with most of them on his own as Zero the Astronaut - available here.  So far he has recorded "Misery City" and "Solitude" which I have also included.  I was lucky enough to lend my bass to "Solitude," though to see it live, and on the old video was ideal with vocal harmonies provided by George and me.  It was truly something exciting and I have a lot to look forward to from Alex Adler.

THE ORIGINAL WAYS +related

Next:  The lost bands, the future, and the best of friends.

No comments: