Friday, July 24, 2009

Flowers Will Spring From Every Grave


While Rain Parade's final album may not be another Emergency Third Rail Power Trip it is no embarrassment. I picked this up for a mere $2.99 (vinyl) just this weekend at Sound Sations in Westchester and was pleasantly surprised.

I hear it may have never been released on CD, which made it surprising that, even while released on Island it was so cheap (I had never seen a copy before). The most noticeable difference between this and the group's previous work is not the absence of David Roback, which in truth did not make that much difference even on Explosions in the Glass Palace, but the slicker production. It is a big change, but not one that ruins anything. In fact, I believe this album could ahve had some hits if released about seven to ten years later (rare thing to say about anything Paisley Underground). Matt Piucci and Stephen Roback's songwriting chops may have been even stronger than ever at this point, and their vocals are as great as ever. While radically different, "Don't Feel Bad" and "Fertile Crescent" - both sung by Roback, are as great as a lot of the group's stellar debut. The band plays tighter as well, which sounds great, even when compared to their previous loose sound, and it is much easier to know that they have a keyboad player than ever before. "Mystic Green" and "My Secret Country" are some great tracks as well, and this album is overall quite as enjoyable. It is ideal for anyone who thought that Rain Parade could get a little too drony on previous albums. For the others, it may be a challenge to get through the synthy intro of "Depending on You," but if you can you will be surprised at how far from grace the band fell (not far at all). Rain Parade started great and ended great, as far as I am concerned, that is not arguable.


Rain Parade - Crashing Dream (1986)

3 comments:

matt said...

I haven't heard the name Sound Stations in forever. I used to shop there all the time in high school. The last time I was there they had just moved into their new larger location a few shops down.

McEneaney Gonzales said...

Oh yeah, it's a great place - I always find great things at a great price there. The staff is awesome and they tell me Michael Quercio shops there all the time, so I'm looking forward to seeing him there.

I'm going to link to your blogs...

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.