Friday, July 3, 2009

I'm Not Easy, I Know...


In continuation of my section on desert rock and my arrival in the Paradise City, I today give you Green on Red.

I originally heard of the band in 2003 when I was becoming a massive Pavement fan. I found a page that listed each member of the group's top 10 records. I do not know what year it was from. This one held a very high position on Bob Nostanovich's and was one of the year I had not even heard of at that point.

Despite hailing entirely from Tuscon Green on Red were an essential and arguable part of the Paisley Underground. In fact, both Matt Piucci (Rain Parade) and Steve Wynn (The Dream Syndicate) get specific shout outs on the sleeve. They did, of course have their very own sound, though, in having a very prevalent country sound, while retaining more psychedelia than a group like the Long Ryders. If one is to compare all of the Paisley Underground artists to an earlier group, Green On Red's would be to the Doors all thank to the dominant organ. Lyrically, though, things get heavier with them than most of the others, but their often bouncy rhythms make up for it. Two of such examples are the title track and "That What You're Here For." Other highlights include the 70s cinema (coincidence?) one-two punch of "5 Easy Pieces" and "Deliverence," and the Southwestern downer "Old Chief." With that said, one needs to also give credit to the anthemic "Brave Generation," which is a supportive voice at this age in this time, but that's nothing...

Like many other great re-issues, this version has bonus tracks placed in between the two sides.


Green On Red - Gravity Talks (1983)

No comments: