Thursday, April 30, 2009

We strike! we strike! the heart of your nation!



Here is a band called New Math. It was recommended by a friend who found out about them in an old book from the late 80s put out by Trouser Press. Thank god he had that! Here is a rare piece of US postpunk/new wave with another classic song. One of the best things about this band is that they hail from Rochester, NY - a first even for me! I suppose a city so bleak is worthy of a band like this. What is most noticeable is their frontman who comes off, to me as obnoxious Ian Curtis. It took a while for me to get used to his style, but I now really like it. As a less hip friend of mine remarked "I think the singer is a total creep," but that really is his charm. He is clearly very aware of his style and that comes across in the brilliantly directed video. The lyrics coupled with the visual style is quite reminiscent of horror movies of the time - specifically They Live and Videodrome, respectively. On the topic of horror movies New Math changed their name to the eerily prescient "Jet Black Berries" and recorded a song for the death rock-heavy (featuring 45 Grave and T.S.O.L.) soundtrack for Return of the Living Dead.

***UPDATE 8 and 20 May 2009***
Thanks to a loyal reader I have just acquired their album for your sampling. Other tracks I have gotten into include "Invocation" and "Flesh Element." The latter comes from their proper LP Gardens which I found sealed for a mere three dollars at In Your Ear in Cambridge, but with moving and all I have not had the opportunity to spin it yet. However, the tracks I've heard on the comp from it are strong.


New Math - Wake The Dead (1976-1984)


Also, I recommend that you look up the source of their band name, quite an interesting story...

In other news I think I will finally begin creating the Rock 'n' Roll Encyclopedia I've been considering writing since 8th grade soon, any encouragement would help.

Also, If it's playing anywhere near you you MUST see Anvil! The Story of Anvil. It's essential viewing for any lover of rock music or beautiful stories, regardless of what you think of heavy metal.

2 comments:

LuckyTiger said...

Howdy --

I'm loving your blog, man. I owe you some money or something for turning me on to Be Bop Deluxe/Bill Nelson.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads-up that this link is dead.

Anonymous said...

dead link, so sad...