Thursday, April 9, 2009

What Jumpstarted My Kiwi-Pop Obsession

It was barely over a year ago that the Dunedin sound became more than just something I knew into my life. I had already gotten way into the Chills and the Clean, but had been meaning to catch up on the Bats, the Verlaines, and Tall Dwarfs. The first of those groups' work I managed to acquire was the Bats' The Law of Things, which while not as strong as the predecessor Daddy's Highway is also a remarkable pop album. Really, the only flaw is in the lessened presence of Kaye Woodward's airy voice which is much more prevalent on the group's other releases. As you can see below, the album art is almost as errily bizarre as on Daddy's Highway, but I think it captures the music accurately. While this record is often overshadowed by other Flying Nun releases it holds a special place for me as it began a life-altering obsession with that scene. It is refreshing to be rediscovering it now. The sound is a bit more laid back, but it has as much emotional power as ever. My favorite tracks include "The Other Side of You," "Mastery," and "Smoking Her Wings," though the quality of the others is not far behind.


The Bats - The Law of Things (1990)

No comments: